Saturday, August 2, 2008

Turning into our parents!!

I knew we had officially turned into our parents when Mr. P set-up a birdfeeder in the back yard. I explained this to him… to no avail. I can remember teasing my Dad as a teenager when I would find him with binoculars drawn and diligently looking out the back door at the birds. Sunday my daughter came over and saw the birdfeeder and said, “I can’t believe you’re watching birds, you’re so old!!” (see I told you Mr. P!!!) What goes around comes around I guess… “Sorry Dad!” Well, in case you’re interested (or just old), our birdfeeder has had its fair share of visitors. So far we’ve seen cardinals, blue jays, sparrows, doves, wrens… and of course, the uninvited squirrels, raccoons and RATS!!! I couldn’t grab my camera fast enough to catch this little guy on his hind legs at the feeder.

4 comments:

Jaybird said...

Looks like someone needs a Red Ryder BB gun! ;) As a fellow birdwatcher I can say you're definitely not a nerd. They're fun to watch! Especially the ones that show up for a few months a year (Cedar Waxwings, Kingbirds, House Finches, Goldfinches). Have you seen the motorized ones that detect the weight of what's on the feeder and start spinning if a squirrel gets on it? It's hilarious, I've gotta find the video for you.

Michele said...

No I haven't seen that one... we just seem to have the standard birds.

Jaybird said...

Oh, I meant motorized bird feeders, not birds. I just re-read and it sounds like I'm talking about robot birds of some sort. Here is a link to the video- the "twirl a squirrel".

Michele said...

That is hilarious and I'd love to have one. There is just one problem. As a young child Mr. P raised a squirrel as a pet so in his mind "the squirrels need to eat too." Whatever!